Most women will suffer with “down-there” symptoms at one point or another in their lives. However, if you have recurring thrush or bacterial vaginosis (BV), that forms a serious obstacle in your fertility. Antibiotics & anti-fungals tend to give only temporary relief, plus you want to avoid those when trying to conceive. Luckily homeopathic remedies are here to save the day as they are completely safe, will resolve your symptoms for good and restore your fertility.
In this post:
- Thrush or Bacterial Vaginosis?
- How Bacterial Vaginosis affects your fertility
- Why anti-fungals & antibiotics don’t help in the long run
- How to sort Bacterial Vaginosis for good
Click here to book an appointment (video call) to quickly & effectively sort your BV & restore your fertility with homeopathy.
Fungal overgrowth & bacterial infections
Thrush is often called a fungal infection but the truth is that everybody has this fungus (Candida) in their bodies and with thrush there is just an overgrowth of it. (Read: The “down-there” infections that reduce your fertility)
The same applies to bacteria, everyone has them; good and bad. These bad bacteria are not a problem as long as there are enough good bacteria too and the Candida is tamed. If Candida does get the chance to overgrow, you will end up with thrush symptoms. Left untreated thrush can lead to another imbalance: bacterial dysbiosis.
When that happens, bad bacteria get the upperhand leaving you with what is called Bacterial Vaginosis (BV).
Thrush or Bacterial Vaginosis
I’ve heard too many times that women were prescribed anti-fungals over and over because they were getting a creamy discharge every month. Newsflash! This may actually be healthy cervical mucus (Read: All you need to know about cervical mucus). However thrush symptoms include:
- Cracked skin & bleeding
- Discharge that smells like yeast
- Continuous discharge that is cloudy, yellow, and/or like cottage cheese
If you have discharge that smells fishy that indicates Bacterial Vaginosis (BV).
How BV affects your fertility
To fall pregnant, the cervical mucus produced around ovulation needs to be favorable to sperm. It needs to be thin enough for the sperm to get through easily and needs to contain the right nutrients to nourish the sperm. An overgrowth of Candida and bad bacteria makes the cervical mucus tacky and hard to get through and lacks nutrients.
BV is an inflammatory condition which is a stress factor for the body. Under stress, the adrenal glands fire stress hormones rather than sex hormones (Read how stress reduces fertility).
Inflammations as such reduce fertility.
If you leave BV untreated, the bad bacteria overgrowth can also travel up to the uterus, fallopian tubes, and the urinary system to cause infections. Such infections reduce fertility even further.
Sorting Bacterial Vaginosis is absolutely essential when trying to conceive. Homeopathy can do that.
Why antibiotics don’t help in the long run
If you have Bacterial Vaginosis, it makes sense to use antibiotics right? Well.. the thing is, antibiotics do not just kill the bad bacteria, they kill all the bacteria.
That may mean indeed that initially you are relieved of your symptoms. However, clearing the ground means there is room for new bacteria to grow and if the environment is not favorable for good bacteria, that means the baddies will come back with their friends and you’re worse off than before. Bacteria also become resistant to antibiotics easily making it harder every time to get rid of your symptoms.
Since an overgrowth of Candida usually underlies BV, addressing the bacterial overgrowth is not enough. Unfortunately, like bacteria to antibiotics, Candida is capable of becoming resistant to the anti-fungals.
Homeopathy is a holistic medicine and addresses your susceptibility to overgrowth of Candida and bacteria to sort both at the same time.
Sorting BV for good
There are a few practical measures you can take to tackle BV (click here for treatment of thrush):
- Eat products with lactic acid (eg Molkosan by Vogel) and start on a good probiotic to restore good bacteria levels (at least 10 billion micro-organisms per daily intake)
- If you feel very sore, apply coconut oil which is naturally antimicrobial
- Avoid washing with soap which changes the pH of the vagina to favor Candida growth. Wash with water after sex as sperm & fertility friendly lubricants affect pH as well
- Avoid tight fitting clothes & wear cotton underwear
- Finally and most importantly get homeopathic treatment if you:
- Want to sort your symptoms quickly
- Want to use a medicine that addresses both BV and underlying thrush
- Have a history of BV, thrush and/or urinary infections
- Want to boost your fertility
Book a video call with me so that we sort out the cause of your recurring issues and kick them to the curb!