Not too long ago the company Ava came out with an interesting new fertility gadget: the Ava fertility tracking bracelet. Seems pretty great right? A gadget that gets you pregnant. The question is if that is a reasonable expectation. So: hope or hype?
Book an appointment with me to boost your fertility & identify your fertile window.
The Ava fertility trackers measures lots of different things, but the following few are interesting because they change during your cycle under the influence of different hormones:
- Heart rate variability
- Perfusion (blood supply to tissues)
The Doctor’s TV did a small lighthearted segment on the fertility tracker which is nice and short for you to watch.
I pretty much agree with everything they say except:
- A bracelet like this could never replace peeing on a stick to detect the hormone LH which triggers ovulation to confirm if your fertile window is about to open.
- Just relax & it will happen is one of the worst cliche advice you girls are given. Although there is absolutely truth to it, it is the most inappropriate thing people say to you. Blog post on this is coming
- The bracelet could still be very useful in irregular cycles & infertility cases because it records important information that helps you discover patterns in you cycle to identify where things might be going wrong. You would still need to add information though such as cervical mucus, secondary fertility signs (breast soreness, PMT, cramping etc) as well as the LH levels to get a complete picture.
Other thoughts I have on the bracelet:
- It is great for measuring temperature without you having to set your alarm, so it could be great for those of you struggling to temp regularly & timely.
- I doubt it’s worth spending the money if you don’t have cash to blow. If you desperately want to fall pregnant, you’re not going to care if you have to set an alarm early in the morning to use your el cheapo thermometer.
- Charting with a thermometer, LH strips & checking for fertility signs is an amazing way to get to know your body & cycle better. Possibly getting a watch like this robs you of an opportunity to understand your female health & get on top of it.